Monday, January 30, 2012

Steamed Chicken With Rice or Noodles

This is an economical recipe. I usually get three meals from it. It's an excellent 'go to' when I am feeling sick and/or have symptoms.
Take a tray of organic chicken "Lovely Legs" which are the thigh either on, or off, the bone. I prefer the ones on the bone as they have more flavour and produce more gelatin.
Simmer the chicken in enough Campbell's Chicken Stock, to cover the meat. Make sure you use Campbell's as there is no onion or garlic in this stock, so it shouldn't cause symptoms. If you are really sensitive, just use water. Simmer on low heat until chicken is tender .. I usually give it 45 mins to an hour. If you are hungry when they are cooked, eat some and put the rest (pot and all) in the fridge. When they are completely cold (overnight), scrape any fat from the top and eat some more. By now they will be gooey, soft and gelatinous. This gelatine is a real tummy soother.
There should still be enough left for a third meal.
I steam some plain white medium grain rice as a side; or sometimes I add rice vermicelli directly to the pot as the chicken is re-heating on the stove top. Slice the green part of a spring onion and some coriander for a very tasty, easy-to-prepare meal.

1 comment:

  1. Great! Good to see this recipe again - I used to make it years ago when my IBS was very bad. Your recipe sounds extra...soothing.

    ReplyDelete