Friday, May 6, 2011

Fermentation of fructans in sourdough bread???

I have it on good authority ~ from other FructMal sufferers ~ that the fermentation process used to make sourdough breads changes the fructans in flour and makes the bread safe to eat. I did read the reasoning behind this, but can remember what it was .. doh!So today I bought some very nice 100% sourdough bread and ate 2 slices of it for lunch. The bread is made by RedBeard Historic Bakery and it has no added nasties. I'll know soon enough if the info about sourdough is correct! Oh well, the weekend is coming so I can easily set up a camp bed in the bathroom/toilet area. I also bought some Asafoetida to use as a flavour additive. It's supposed to be OK for us FMs to use, but just in the few minutes it's been sitting beside the 'puter, it's caused me to feel nauseous. I have learned to trust my nose implicitly, so this yellow Indian flavouring powder is going in the bin. I have no desire to try it anymore. It really sounds too much like "foetid" for my liking. Foetid means offensively malodorous - which is exactly how this horrible stuff smells to me! Having said that, I know that other FM sufferers really enjoy using it - it's just not for me.

1 comment:

  1. I mentioned in another comment (as I wander through your blog :-) that I'm really intolerant. Spent 5 months last year on *only* soy yoghurt and a 5 nuts per day. (Lost 90lb). Slowly re-introducing foods now, very very very carefully. I can eat sourdough bread! I'm amazed. As often as I like! Light rye sourdough, baked by a local baker (so no brand).
    If you'd like to reply to any of my comments, would you care to reply to my e-mail? I'd love to hear from you, but I'll never find any replies that are made under in your Comments section.

    ReplyDelete