Sunday, June 26, 2011

An apple a day??

I finally got to attend an FM Group Session run by Shepherd Works in Melbourne, last week. I was very impressed with the presenter, Kim Menzies. She sure knows 'her stuff'. I identified with a lot of the advice she provided - just wish it hadn't been so rushed & such information overload.
One thing Kim said was that, after the initial 8-week strict Low FODMAPs diet, it's very important to challenge and re-introduce the foods you were previously unable to eat...in small amounts! The theory is that, if you don't do this, you may well lose the level of tolerance to them you DO have.
It was a timely statement for me, as I have been working on our enemy Mr. Apple for about four weeks now. I also react to salicylates and amines, so need to be extra careful. I bought just one glorious Fuji apple. I took it home and put it on the kitchen bench, where it stayed for a few days. I stroked it every time I walked past it - a bit like sex with an apple, really! LOL Then I just thought, "Stuff it, I am going to do this!!!" So, I peeled it quite thickly and ate a small quarter of it. Then I sat back and waited ~ nothing, nada, zilch, zip!!! Prior to Low FODMAPs, that apple would have been out of me within 45 minutes, travelling at the speed of sound!!!!!! Since then I have eaten a WHOLE Fuji apple ~ thickly peeled & cored, of course. I keep waiting for the grenade to go off in my bum, but it hasn't. I made sure I re-introduced this food slowly, over a period of weeks. I also made sure that I keep my intake of other fodmaps on that day at a low level. I have a whole range of other "challenging" foods to re-introduce over the coming months. It gives me hope ........

No comments:

Post a Comment