Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Potts Black Rye Sourdough



This is what I had for lunch today ~ but I overdid it on the tomato & now I'm paying a bit. Should have only had three slices of tomato. I'll remember next time!!! I have bought 5 loaves of this bread now and it's been a success every time, no symptoms from the bread. I know this for sure as it was one of my challenges three weeks ago. The bread supports the theory that sourdough fermentation changes the fructans in the grain. Don't ask me how. Ask a food scientist. All I know is that I can eat 2-3 slices a day and still be OK. It has none of those 280 numbers - you know the ones! Propionates, which are used widely as preservatives in bread making in Australia. Shame on you bread makers of Australia!! Read the label in the photo to see what it doesn't have. There is gluten in the bread, so it's not suitable for people with Coeliac Disease. It is fermented for a minimum of 24 hours ... which is also good, according to the scientists, for seeing off the fructans. It's a very dark bread - almost black - more like pumpernickel in colour. It doesn't leave an aftertaste like some sourdoughs do. You can see I used my favourite 'flavour enhancer', good old iodised sea salt flakes. I added a GF blueberry muffin which I made myself so I know it had no nasties in it. DH's friend, who comes in every few weeks to chop our firewood, likes to be spoiled so I bake for him. The muffin was the only one that Mick didn't eat. Perhaps I shouldn't have, but it was a great treat! The bread stays fresh for about 3 days, then good as toast for another two. I give the last slices to either the dogs or the chooks. It's good value at less than $5 a loaf. I get mine from Woolies.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I just found your post as I was searching for information on what happens to fructans when they are fermented. Do you think that lacto fermenting foods, like beetroot for example might make them edible too? I'm having trouble finding any info on this, so even if you can direct me to some of your sources that would be much apreciated!

    ReplyDelete