Sunday, June 26, 2011

So now I have a nut allergy as well??!!!!

Quite recently, I received one of these bars in a goodies bag at an information session I attended. It was touted as being 'Fructose Friendly' because, although it contains honey, it also contains glucose in an equal ratio which evens out the fructose load. I'd had nothing to eat all day. I'd driven for two-and-a-half hours to get to the session. It was now 10:15 pm and I was still only half-way home. I was starving. Then I remembered the bar in the little green bag. Hadn't eaten a muesli bar for months, it was FM safe. So, why not I thought? Ripped the wrapper off with my teeth to eat it as I was driving through pissing rain, heavy fog & bloody great honking trucks with four headlights on full beam. Fun? No!! As I held the bar near my mouth to take that first bite, my nose said "WTF are you doing? You shouldn't be eating this, you dickhead!" Now, in the past, I've listened when my nose has spoken. On this occasion I didn't. "STFU nose!!! Mind your own beeswax!" Within 15 mins of eating the bar, my mouth and tongue were on fire! My lips were tingling. The back of my throat was burning and felt 'hard'. It was slightly difficult to swallow. By the time I got home about two hours later, the area around by mouth/chin was numb & the inside of my mouth & tongue were still on fire. The numbness was still there when I woke up next morning. I didn't get any feeling back in my lips until around 1:45pm that day. Sounds like a classic nut allergy reaction to me. Something I've never experienced in my life before, until this episode. It just keeps on getting more difficult!!!

I have an appt to see my GP in two days, but I seriously suspect I'd had an allergic reaction to the ingredients in the bar: rolled oats, almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, honey, sunflower seeds, sunflower oil, sesame seeds, cinnamon, glucose (made from corn/maize), oat flour, natural vanilla flavour. The glucose made from corn interests me, as I've been noticing I react to Corn Thins in a similar way ~ though it's nowhere near as intense ... just mild tingling in the lips, with mild burning mouth & tongue.

Did I read the label on the bar? No! It's written in Size 2 font and I didn't want to pull over. And THAT'S what my nose was trying to tell me. If I had read that label, there is no way I would have eaten that bar. Another hard lesson learned. I need to listen to my own advice.

I'm a bit anxious about going to see my GP with this new development. He's the one who laughed out loud at me when I told him I'd been diagnosed with FructMal. If he shows me such disrespect - hell, any level of disrespect - this time, he's likely to get snotted!! And maybe even reported ...

1 comment:

  1. sounds like you need a new GP if he laughs at you. how horrible!

    ReplyDelete