Saturday, July 30, 2011

Vitamin D (3) Deficiency

One of the most common problems related to food intolerances with malabsorption is a lack of Vitamin D. I had a blood test done in May, when my Vit D was measured at 52. Considering that the normal level is 150+ that was a bit of a shock. I'm going to see a senior dietician at Shepherd Works in a few days, so wanted to have very recent blood work to show her. Imagine my horror when my Vit D had dropped even lower ~ to 38 in just two months!! It explains the dreadful muscle weakness, fatigue and joint pain I've been experiencing recently. I have now started a therapeutic regime of Ostelin brand Vitamin D (3) - scientific name is cholecalciferol. It's necessary to start off with 2-3 capsules per day, best taken with breakfast, for a month. This is followed up with a blood test and then adjusted as required. Ostelin has no added anything. I'm beginning to wonder if my reduced muscle strength is the reason for a very heavy fall I had a couple of weeks ago.

Of course, the laughing GP just told me I need to spend more time in the sun - to get outside more. Hellloooooo, Albert ... I already spend a minimum of 2 hours most days outside, which I told you in May but because you are so cynical about food intolerances you dissed me when I told you this. Don't you know that many Australians are already deficient in Vit D?? The food intolerances just make the situation worse.

My thyroid levels were also really out of whack - connected to the Vit D deficiency which is required for proper absorption of calcium. It's a minefield trying to manage all the issues I have :(

No comments:

Post a Comment