Tuesday, April 12, 2011

FructMal Tuna Mornay


After the Smoked Cod recipe disaster, I was very careful before posting this one for Tuna Mornay. I have now eaten this three times without any symptoms at all, so I believe it's safe. It does have flour used as a thickener, however the amount eaten is minimal. I am very sensitive to fructans in wheat, but I was fine. If it concerns you, use corn flour. The following amounts made 4 entree size portions. The leftovers stored and re-heated well.

30g butter

1 stalk celery, chopped fine

1 tablespoon plain flour (if preferred, use spelt flour or similar substitute)

1 cup milk (reduced fat or lactose free works well)

1/3 cup grated hard cheese (cheddar or tasty)

130g canned corn kernels

2 X 185g canned tuna in springwater, drained

3/4 cup Orgran brand GF corn crispy crumbs

1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Pre-heat oven to 180C. Melt butter in medium saucepan. Sweat celery til soft. Add flour & cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk. Cook, stirring, until mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat, add tasty or cheddar cheese, corn and tuna. Stir until cheese melts. Spoon mixture into small ovenproof dishes; or a medium sized single dish. Sprinkle with combined corn crumbs and parmesan cheese. Bake for 15 mins or until heated through & top is golden.

I served it with steamed silver beet, but a salad of choice would be nice too. Add a GF roll or fresh GF bread and you have an easy-to-prepare tasty meal which won't cause you any tears. This recipe will become a permanent one for me.

2 comments:

  1. This is great! So great, in fact, I've linked to it from my blog. Hope you don't mind! :D
    ---
    http://fructosefreak.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't mind one bit! In fact, I am very pleased that the recipe might get circulated a bit :)
    Thank you!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete