Friday, April 15, 2011

Phew! It's on the nose

About 2 years ago I started to develop some really strong, adverse reactions to the smells of many foods. For example, tinned fish ~ any sort of fish really, chilli, deli meats, the horrible packaged soups etc which DH likes. I also hated the smells of chemicals, which made me feel sick ... but it wasn't new. I'd had that for about 20 years. I was having difficulty cooking too - I'd get part way through preparing a meal & have to stop due to nausea. I'd even dry retch on occasion. To my peril, I ignored these warning alerts from my body. If I forced myself to eat the meal that was making me feel like this I would end up with severe FructMal symptoms, sometimes within only 45 minutes! In the end DH & I just accepted it was part of the "new me". He was very considerate and set up a cooking area for himself in his shed where he could cook & eat all the things I hated.

Then, only a few days ago, I was re-reading info at the RPAH Allergy Unit website: http://www.sswahs.nsw.gov.au/rpa/allergy/

where I found this: Your nose may become more sensitive on the elimination diet, and strong odours and fumes may cause you to feel ill. This usually subsides after the diet is liberalized.


and this ...... Some people with food intolerances find that their sense of smell gets more acute on a restricted diet. Strong perfume, car exhaust, petrol fumes, fresh paint, cigarette smoke and other irritant smells and fumes may make you feel ill or give you a headache.


I can't wait to get all the resources I've ordered from RPAH.

Seems my snozz was right on the money!

No comments:

Post a Comment